How to Choose a Personal Injury Attorney
How to Choose the Best Personal Injury Attorney for You and Your Case
If you were injured through an accident or the negligence of another party, you may have legal grounds to seek compensation for your damages. It would be in your best interest to put your case in the hands of a knowledgeable, reputable, and experienced personal injury lawyer. While finding the right personal injury attorney to represent you can be a challenge, knowing what qualities to look for and which questions to ask can help you make an informed decision. So, are you ready to learn how to choose a personal injury attorney?
Talk with friends, family members, or coworkers who have had a personal injury case. Ask them about the experience they’ve had with their lawyer. Pay attention to things like whether their legal needs were fully addressed, how helpful the lawyer was throughout the case, whether they were satisfied with the outcome of their case, and what their trial experience was.
Getting referrals can help you get a starter list of attorneys to consider for your personal injury claim. If someone says good things about their experience, put that lawyer on your list of people to interview. Don’t hire a lawyer until you’ve met him or her and decided that you feel comfortable working with their firm.
Do Some Additional Research
In addition to referrals, a quick internet search can help you see which personal injury lawyers are most prominent in your area. Some online resources also offer free attorney directories you can use to put together a list of potential lawyers for your case. These provide information such as location, practice areas, lawyer reviews, and disciplinary records. Your state’s or local bar association’s attorney directory is also a good place to start.
Understand What to Look for in a Lawyer
You’ll find there are many law firms that handle personal injury cases, and it can be overwhelming to weed through them.
Here’s what to consider when looking for a personal injury lawyer:
- Experience: Look for a lawyer who specializes in personal injury and understands the law that applies to your case. The more experience a personal injury attorney has, the more likely they are to succeed in your case. They can see through the manipulative tricks of insurance companies and prove damages in highly complex cases. They also have the resources to help you build a case and get the help you need.
- Proven Track Record: It doesn’t matter how many cases a personal injury attorney has handled if they don’t achieve winning results for their clients. Look for an attorney who knows how to deliver a settlement or a fair trial verdict. Pay attention to reviews from previous clients and ask the attorney what their success rate is.
- Availability: If you can’t go to an attorney’s office due to your injuries, see if the attorney will visit you in the hospital or at your home. Look for a St. Petersburg law firm that has team members available 24/7. This shows they’re dedicated to their clients and have a good infrastructure for operations.
- Trial Experience: Insurance providers are very aggressive. If they know your attorney doesn’t have trial experience or is just afraid of the courtroom, they will make little or no effort to settle your case. Also, an attorney who always settles and never goes to court may pressure you to settle for a pittance.
- Resources: Personal injury cases require thorough investigation and extensive preparation. As such, you need an attorney who has the resources necessary to hire experts and handle the commitments to winning what you deserve. The resources should be enough to handle the magnitude of your case.
- Style and Personality: Many don’t place enough importance on these aspects, but they are incredibly vital. A personal injury case can be a long journey with ups and downs. You should select a personal injury attorney with whom you are comfortable.This means hiring an attorney who explains things in a way you understand, listens to you, and addresses your concerns. You should get the sense that they truly care about your case and well-being.
How to Choose a Personal Injury Attorney – Interview Several Lawyers
Once you’ve made a list of your top choices for personal injury attorneys, it’s time to schedule consultations so you can discuss your claim and identify who you are best matched with. Meeting with multiple lawyers will give you a good sense of the lawyer’s experience and help you understand the strengths and weaknesses of your case. Most personal injury attorneys provide free initial consultations, so there’s no reason not to schedule one.
There are a few questions to ask during the consultation:
- How long have you been in practice?
- How many claims have you handled? What were the outcomes of those cases?
- What percentage of your practice involves personal injury cases?
- How much experience do you have with cases like mine?
- What is your caseload like currently? How much time can you devote to my case?
- Who will actually be working on my case?
- Do you try lawsuits in court?
- What do you think my case is worth?
- What issues do you see with my case?
- How long will resolution take?
- What are the cost and payment terms?
- Are there any past clients I could talk to? Do you have testimonials I can see?
If the lawyer seems evasive or dodgy, take that as a sign to work with another law firm. You want to work with someone who is knowledgeable, confident, and ready to dedicate themselves to your case. If the attorney seems at ease and confident, you may feel confident leaving such an important task in their hands.
Let Yanchuck Berman Help with Your Personal Injury Case
Want the best St. Petersburg personal injury attorney for your case? We’d be happy to discuss your case and show you what we can do. At Yanchuck Berman, we have a wealth of experience handling many types of personal injury cases and aren’t afraid to go to court if necessary. We have recovered millions of dollars for injured victims through settlements and trials.
Our St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers are committed to making sure you get the compensation you deserve. We treat you and your family with the utmost respect and compassion. Call us at 727-822-6313 to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced St. Pete personal injury lawyers.